The college was established due to the strenuous efforts of the erstwhile Thiru. A.Govindasamy, former Agriculture Minister. Thiru.A.Govindasamy Government Arts College, Tindivanam, Villupuram District was established by the Government of Tamil Nadu in the year 1969 with undergraduate courses. It was converted as co-educational institution in the year 1986 which situated in a rural area. This College was affiliated to the University of Madras, till 2003 and subsequently this college re-affiliated to the newly established Thiruvalluvar University-Vellore in the same year. It is approved under 2(f) by the University Grants Commission (UGC) act 1956. Like any other government colleges we also like to provide quality higher education to the underprivileged students of the neighbouring villages including Tindivanam town.
The College is located on a 31 acre land, 3 kilometer away from Tindivanam town. This institution is affiliated to the Thiruvalluvar University and it is one of the well known Government Colleges in Northern Tamil Nadu. In the beginning, the college offered only Pre-University courses. In the second year of its inception, the college was upgraded and four Degree courses viz. B.A. History, B.Sc.Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry were offered.